Mariana Mendez lives in the Charlotte Metro Area in North Carolina and is an active member of the City of Concord Youth Council, Cabarrus County Youth Council, National Teen Council and CMC- NorthEast Junior Volunteer Program. She is homeschooled (finishing her last year of High School) and, in addition, Mariana is taking some college level courses thanks to the Career and College Promise Program at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. She hopes to study Political Science and Journalism in the future. She is fluent in both English and Spanish – currently learning French.
Through her work with the City of Concord Youth Council (2013 – present), Mariana has volunteered and participated in the following activities: The Community Free Clinic of Cabarrus County, Meals on Wheels, The Attic Lending Library (Cabarrus Partnership for Children) , Backpacks for Hope (providing school supplies for children in need and providing snacks and other supplies during school vacations), Safety Palooza (Organized by Safe Kids Cabarrus), Ushering at The Old Courthouse Theater and activities organized by The City of Concord Parks & Recreation Department such as Union Street Live, Camp Ready Kids, Family Friendly Program, Outdoor Explorers, Streetlight 5K Frolic, Tree Lighting Ceremony, Holiday Happenings and Dogs Day Out.
In September of 2014, Mariana was appointed by the Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners as a Member of the Cabarrus County Youth Council. The purpose of this council is to provide teens in the community an opportunity to be active citizens. Being part of this organization will allow her to learn more about county government, discuss and provide solutions to local issues, and interact with county commissioners and employees through partnerships.
As a member of the National Teen Council (2013 – present) Mariana had an opportunity to connect with some of the nation’s brightest high school leaders. They have worked together conducting surveys, promoting service and leadership activities, creating and joining campaigns to impact youth in their local communities.
Last Summer Mariana started volunteering at her local hospital (CMC – NorthEast); she was part of their Jr. Volunteer Program. This fall, she was invited to help during their Annual Diversity & Inclusion Fair and she pledged to keep working as a volunteer during the school year.
Other accomplishments include being:
– The recipient of the “2013 Outstanding New Member Award” by the City of Concord Youth Council for being the new member with more hours of volunteer service during the year.
– Chosen by popular vote as Co-chair of the State Representatives for The National Teen Council.
– Selected as Chair of the following events (with The City of Concord Youth Council): The Community Free Clinic of Cabarrus County, The Attic Lending Library (Cabarrus Partnership for Children & Union Street Live.
– Regional Scholastic Award Recipient (2011 Gold Key for Excellence in Art and 2012 & 2013 Honorable Mention for Excellence in Writing)
– 2010 – 2011 Student Council Co-President of C.C. Griffin Middle School
In her free time Mariana enjoys being part of the Hartsell Karate Club (she is a green belt) and playing the bass as a member of the band & drama team of the youth group of her local Church.